In line with the directive from the State Government for all Forest Timber Licenses (FTL’s) to undergo certification in Sustainable Forest Management (SFM), Ta Ann has consolidated its FTL’s and Licences for Planted Forest (LPF’s) in the Song-Kapit region into three (3) Forest Management Units (FMU’s) namely, Kapit FMU, Pasin FMU and Raplex FMU.  They are compliant with the Criteria and Indicators of the PEFC-endorsed Malaysian Timber Certification Scheme (MTCS). We currently have 3 active FMUs that are fully-certified and they cover an area of over 340,000ha.

Ta Ann Group Forest Management Unit (FMU)

KAPIT Forest Management Unit (FMU) covers an area of 149,877 hectares in the southern part of Kapit District.  The FMU operates under the Timber Licence No. T/3491 issued to Tanjong Manis Holdings Sdn Bhd, a 100% subsidiary of Ta Ann Holdings Berhad.  The Licence was issued on 12th June 2007 and will expire on 11th April 2021 (14 years).  This Forest Timber License has been renewed to 11th April 2022 (annual basis).  The logging contractor for this FMU is Hariwood Sdn Bhd, also a 100% subsidiary of Ta Ann Holdings Berhad.  28% of the FMU is located within Kapit Stateland and the remaining 72% is inside Baleh Protected Forest.  The southern part of KAPIT FMU is located inside Heart of Borneo (HoB) project area.

Kapit FMU can be accessible by express boat or public road from Sibu town.  Kapit town is about 140 km upriver and an express boat/road trip would take about three (3) hours.  The FMU Engkeramuh Base Camp can be reached from Kapit town by four-wheel drive vehicles for another two (2) hours’ drive on government tar-sealed and logging roads.

The topography of Kapit FMU area is rather rolling but tends to be mountainous towards the south and west with altitudes ranging from 75 m (250 ft.) to over 880 m (5,900 ft.) above mean sea level.  Most of the terrain is between 300 and 600 m (1,000-2,000 ft.).

The current vegetation is predominantly Hill Mixed Dipterocarp Forest (MDF).  Patches of shifting cultivation areas with pioneer and secondary vegetation may be found along Batang Rajang, Batang Baleh, Sg. Sut, and Sg. Gaat in the vicinity of the settlements.

Kapit FMU and its adjacent area are currently inhabited by 55 communities living inside or at the fringe of the FMU boundary.  Ethnically, most communities living inside Kapit FMU are Iban while other races, namely Chinese, Malay, Orang Ulu, Melanau, Bidayuh and “others” are residing in Kapit town.

Kapit Forest Management Unit (FMU) managed by Tanjong Manis Holdings Sdn Bhd has been awarded certificate for Forest Management (Natural Forest) under the Malaysian Timber Certification Scheme (MTCS), a scheme endorsed by the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC).  The certificate was awarded by SIRIM QAS International Sdn Bhd on 11 June 2018 with a validity of 3 years.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 2018-06-Kapit-FMU-Certificate-for-FMC-Natural-Forest-700x996.jpg

Click here for more details on the extension of Kapit FMU certificate.

Last updated on 28 June 2021

(Back to top)