• Kapit FMU covers 149,877 ha of which 119,728 ha (80%) are production areas and 30,149 ha (20%) are set aside for conservation areas (Community use and environmental protection). 
  • The FMU is bordered by Batang Rajang and Batang Balleh in the North by Pasin FMU in the West.  The eastern FMU boundary is bordered by Sg. Sut, Sg. Entawau and Sg. Stapang then heading southward along Sg. Gaat till it reached Malaysia-Indonesia International boundary. 

  • It has two camps that is Melekun Logpond located along the bank of Batang Balleh and camp Engkeramuh located near Sungai Engkeramuh.
  • Kapit FMU is served by public road and logging road. The administrative center of Kapit FMU is located at Engkeramuh Camp, 38km from Melekun Logpond.
  • About 72% (108,560 Ha) are located inside Baleh PF and Baleh PF (Ext. 3) and the remaining 28% area falls under Kapit stateland.
  • The weather pattern of Kapit FMU is very much sculptured by the general climate of Sarawak, where it is characterized by high temperature, rainfall and humidity throughout the year.  Kapit FMU is also influenced by the Northeast monsoon occurs in December to March and Southwest monsoon occurs in May to October.
  • The Kapit FMU area is rather rolling but tends to be mountainous towards the south and west. Most of the terrain is between 300 and 600 m (1,000-2,000 ft.). Out of the total area of 149,877 ha, about 0.3% (513 ha) is classified as localized steep terrain >35o and distributed throughout the FMU.
  • The Kapit (Kpt)/Merit (Mrt) soil series is found to be the most abundant covering approximately 89% of Kapit FMU. 
  • Kapit FMU is predominantly covered by mixed dipterocarp forest, while secondary forest formed by shifting agriculture and ‘pulau’ are found along the Batang Rajang, Batang Baleh, Sg Sut, and Sg. Gaat in the vicinity of the settlements. 
  • There are 55 settlements located within and adjacent to Kapit FMU (Mesra Alam Consulting 2017).  44 settlements are within the Sg. Gaat and Sg. Sut area (Melekun area) and 11 settlements in the Sg. Yong area.

(Updated on 7 July 2021)